Want to get involved?
Briefly, the process is usually as follows:
- Express an interest. Contact the Group Leader at 1stKilkennyGL@gmail.com
- Meet the Group Leader, Ken Mason.
- Complete the Scouting Ireland Adult Membership Application form & the Garda vetting clearance form, and submit to group leader
- Arrange a date for the evening course with the Training Coordinator, Debbie Whelan.
- Complete the online learning module for an Intro to Scouting & child protection. The access link is here: Story of Scouting e-Learning course
It’s a bit fiddly: you have to register, watch an online piece and successfully answer a series of questions to pass. It takes about an hour or two and has to be done in one sitting. Please note that the online course must be done before the evening course. Evidence of having done this module, in the form of a printable certificate or screenshot of the final screen, must be shown at the evening course.
- Then attend the two-hour evening course, held locally (usually Bennetsbridge or Tullow). (Make sure you bring your printout certificate from the e-Learning module)
- During this process, you may attend some meetings on a supervised basis.
- Once the Vetting process has completed and returned successfully, we book you onto the weekend residential “Being a Scouter” course.
- Once you have completed this weekend course, you are cleared to help with meetings and events.
An overview of the This Is Scouting process can be read here: Training Scheme bulletin-Apr2016.
Also, see the following flow-chart: